Friday, January 13, 2012

Can't a Woman Get a Free Drink Anymore?

This is a true story, a sad true story.  About a year ago I was at a local bar with Miss Tiger Lily and we were out on the patio enjoying the warm summer air. She lit a cigarette and we began chatting about men or something. Along comes this cute guy asking if he could bum a few cigarettes. I jokingly state that perhaps we should do a trade off and he could buy my friend a drink. He seems to contemplate this for a few moments, then shakes his head and says never mind.

Since when has buying a woman a drink become old fashioned? Has chivalry all but gone extinct? I was walking into the mall the other day and the man ahead of me could not spare 2 seconds to hold open the door. Instead I got hit smack in the face by the swinging door. This really infuriated me. Everyone, man or woman should at least hold the door open! Are good manners and romancing dead? It's an everyone for himself kind of world, and if a man even buys us dinner we feel as though we now owe him something in return.

I will state that any man that buys me a drink at least gets a shot at conversation with me. But is conversation enough for men these days? Especially in a bar atmosphere? Maybe men are now realizing they don't have to spend a buck to get a bang. Then whose fault is it? The girls that use men for drinks? The men who aren't willing to wait for a quality girl? The lazy Bro's that can't take the time to be a gentleman?  Maybe the problem is that I am dating the wrong generation? But is older necessarily better? These are a lot of questions that I still have no answer for.

Really men a rail is 3 to 4 dollars at a bar. I am not asking for much, but a little effort would be nice instead of you just sneaking in and grinding up on me. Don't think of buying a drink for a woman as an automatic in, but rather an ice breaker. Now get out there and play the game.

5 comments:

  1. My only suggestion is that you should change atmospheres. Men in bars truly want only one thing. Chivalry is not dead, you just have to know where to find it. This is Jill by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, but where is this magical place you talk of?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose there isn't an actual "place", but anywhere that doesn't involve massive amounts of meat headed drunk asses would definitely be a good place to start. In my opinion, it all happens out of fate. Sure maybe sometimes out of a bar--I guess. It honestly just happens when you least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True however I am not looking for "something". I'm not looking for a relationship, just a man that knows how to treat a woman. Possibly bring back some of the courting practices once used. Also just good manners. Chivalry is not dead if you have a boyfriend, however on the dating scene its a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, but what do you expect out of the bar scene? That's what I mean. They don't care.

    ReplyDelete