Monday, February 13, 2012

Did I Just Lasso a Cowboy by Accident?

        So, as promised I decided to stick my neck out there and hunt for some new friends. I accepted a date Saturday night on OkCupid with a boy we will call Urban Cowboy for the simple fact that he is a blend of Hipster meets Metro meets Cowboy from East Texas.  He was excited to show me all of the joys that the UNT (University of Northern Texas) campus had to offer. The result: Fry Street. For my readers back in Minneapolis Fry Street is a way down south version of Dinky-town...but much much better. By this I mean that it is not just the new baby 21 year old's that frequent here. If you are between the ages of 21 to 30, it is safe to assume that you will fit in just fine.
          We planned on meeting up at a bar called Lucky Lou's, which seems to be the favorite bar. The drink prices weren't bad either ;) I walked into the bar and glanced around nervously, praying that I would be able to recognize him. So far everyone in my area was anything but attractive. I decided to grab myself a Vodka and Diet coke (watching my weight for Miami lol) and began talking to the bar tender about the weather. All of a sudden a man taps my shoulder. "Are you ________ (fill in blank with urban cowboy) ?" I stammer as coolly as I can (which doesn't make a whole lot of sense). "That's me." He states and I sigh with a sign of relief because standing in front of me is a very attractive man : )
He's not manly like a stereotypical cowboy is, and he has such a cute boyish face and smile. However the flannel shirt he happens to be wearing increases his southern appearance. We sit in a booth and before I know it we have been talking for almost an hour and a half and the bar is beginning  to fill up fast. He at first is shocked by my non-Fargo the movie- accent, and I am pleasantly surprised that he is very well read and literate. As we weed out our states stereotypes there is one that he falls into that sort of turns me on...he can shoot a gun! Let me clarify for all of you that yes I am against violence, but it has always been a dream of mine to be as bad ass as James Bond and Sydney Bristow (Alias).  He even offered to take me to a range sometime! Yeeehaw!
     As the bar became more and more busy we decided to head to another bar...we got as far as next door. The night got even more eventful as we ran into a few of Urban Cowboy's friends. Things were going great and before I knew it the bar was going into closing mode. He walked me to my car and we said our awkward goodbye's. It is always weird when your wondering if there will be a kiss, or a hug, or a handshake...we went with kiss. And of course being a southern gentlemen, he asked if he could first. :)
      Now all of this seems great, but I wasn't lonely being alone. In fact I loved it. So now what do I do with a great, cute, and sweet cowboy, when I don't really want a man in the first place? Am I being ungrateful? Now that I have lassoed a Cowboy I am beginning to wonder is a cowboy is what I really wanted...or was I just hoping for a friend? I don't know if I am ready to let myself allow someone new into my life. We have plans tomorrow...yes V-day (desperation day). Part of me wants to run, but the other part wants to just relax and have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment